Psalm 139: 14-17

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well...All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious are your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them!

Psalm 139: 14&17

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Mercy

As I sit back and reflect on the last two days of our lives, I am in awe by the mercy of my heavenly father, my Jesus. 


We entered Joplin yesterday not knowing what to expect. As we began to make our way around town what we witnessed is indescribable, impossible to wrap our heads around-utter devastation, complete pulverization, something I have never in my life experienced. As Galen puts it: a dichotomy, people who lost everything, and I mean everything...words cannot even begin to describe the scene, continued pressing forward, persevering, diligently working undistracted and with complete devotion to strangers, neighbors, co-workers, brothers and sisters in Christ, amidst a magnitude of loss, so vulnerable. It was an amazing sight to bear witness to, compassion at its best, as I've never witnessed before. 


Oh yes the Lord is stirring our hearts and surely He is with and amongst us, but how do we even begin to wrap our heads around His mercy in our lives and the horrific devastation. Yes we can count our blessings; yes, we can hold loved ones tighter, but it doesn't even begin to compare to the mercy He has extended to us. They are new every morning; but when you survey the vast damage and almost irreplaceable loss in Joplin, it is difficult to find His mercies. Peoples lives torn apart, literally, by an EF5 tornado, 1/3 of the town gone, homes lost, children missing, lives lost...where is He is in all this? Where? He is everywhere...He is in the rescue dogs whose paws were chaffed and ripped raw from searching, He can be seen in every parking lot, on every corner, handing out water, chainsaws sharpening, every pile of rubble, every wall left standing with an X on it,...everywhere. It is absolutely heart wrenching to see all the devastation, but on the other hand, I am in awe of the people who are out there being Jesus with skin on...amazed. Please don't misunderstand me, I cannot even pretend to understand what the people of Joplin are going through, nor do I want to diminish the magnitude of loss...it is complete devastation, COMPLETE! But yet the people of Joplin pulled together, the people of Christ have come to help, witness, support, and offer their compassion and services to those who have lost so much. 


Mercy is defined as "compassionate or kindly forbearancecompassion, benevolence; the disposition to be compassionate or forbearing" This is witnessed everywhere you look in Joplin. When I looked out at bareness, starkness, and eeriness left in the aftermath of this natural disaster I found it difficult to see hope or mercy. But it was there, among the lost and broken. There is hope; what would I do if I were among the many who suffered so much loss, I do not know. I can only cling to the one truth I know to be true in my life and that is Jesus Christ. So what if I am made a fool of, He is my rock, I trust in His mercies and His people. 


My heart is aching for the people of Joplin, for my family, for my friends, for those who have lost everything; it just aches. Cry out to Him, cry out to the one who loves unconditionally, who bestows mercy unconditionally, who longs for your eyes to be fixed on Him. He is able to take your pain, your anger, your questions, your doubts. His mercy was displayed on the cross, and yes it can be witnessed in Joplin, MO. My eyes are opened, my ears opened, and my heart to the One who can bear all, to the One who wants to bring restoration and bestow His mercies to the lost, hurt, broken, confused, angry, and scared. God bless Joplin, be a refuge and shelter to those who suffer. 


Lucinda

No comments:

Post a Comment